Sunday, June 29, 2014

WHEN IT COMES TO NEIGHBORS I HAVE BEEN THE LUCKIEST GUY IN THE WORLD.


          The other day I was listening to someone talking about their terrible neighbors. How they did not get along, and pretty much ignored each other. Some of the stories they told were truly mortifying.

          As I sat there listening, I got to thinking. "When it comes to neighbors, I have been the luckiest guy in the world."


          I started to think of all the neighbors I've had over the years. Most of the memories have faded into the deep recesses of my little pea brain. But I will never forget my favorites.

          During my early years I lived in Pennsylvania. My friend Ricky Swetlitch lived across the street. We had lots of fun playing in the woods and in our little shed in the back yard. For many years, Ricky and I were inseparable. We went everywhere and did everything together.

          But in seventh grade we moved away. Off to the flat lands of Indiana. It was December 6, 1963 two weeks to the day after the Kennedy assassination.

          I don't think we were in our new home more than twenty four hours before we heard a knock on our door. If memory serves me, she had a cake in her hands. Her name was Mildred May and she lived down the street. She told my mother that she was also the local "Welcome Wagon" representative and would return later in that capacity. But on this day, she was just there to welcome her new neighbors. She made the adjustment easier for my mother and they became close friends.

          Mr. May, was known as 'Hoss', and he became Dad's good friend as well.  My brother and I hung out with their kids. Gary, Mary, and Teri. (I always thought it was neat that their names rhymed) Gary was a year older than me, and Mary a couple of years younger. Teri was the baby of the group. (sorry Teri, it is what it is)

          Mr. and Mrs. May were like second parents to me. And if I ever faltered, Mid May was usually supportive and on my side.

          We all grew up together. I hung out at the May house all the time. Gary spent alot of time up the street at our house shooting baskets with me and my brother. I am not saying that we were inseparable. We all had our own close knit group of friends. But we all got along great. I know I had more arguments with my brother than I ever had with Gary.

          My fondest memories growing up was of the many cook outs we had. Dad and 'Hoss' heading out to the country garden they shared, and returning home with their bountiful harvest.

          I remember sitting in the May's TV room watching Muncie Central win its Seventh State Basketball Championship. I can still smell the aromas emanating from their kitchen.

          By this time, High school graduation had come and gone. Then college and marriage.

          In 1976, I ended up in Illinois doing the morning show on WTIM radio. It was there that I bought my first home. All of our neighbors were older than us newlyweds.

          I wish I could remember her name but there was an elderly widow next door to us who became like another grand mother. She always kept her eye on us, just like we were one of her own.   

          Soon it was back to Indiana and WMDH/WCTW radio in New Castle. It was 1979. We bought a couple of acres out in the country and had many neighbors that came and went. I spent most of the eighties there.

          But no one came close to the caliber of Mr. and Mrs. May.

         The years seemed to fly by. I ended up in Florida (that's another long story) In 1990, my wife Penny and I bought an old house in the downtown Ocala Historic District. It took three years (and a broken hip) to restore this beauty to 'move in' condition. All the while our new neighbor Bob watched us in amazement.
   
         But the rest of the story is about the big gray house next door to ours.

         Bob Ackerman was an attorney that worked for one of the local attractions. At the time the house was a duplex and he lived upstairs. Bob was the first democrat I ever argued with about politics. And since Penny worked for a Republican U.S. Congressman, we had lots to argue about. Or was it just spirited discussions? I know I never changed his mind, and he sure as hell didn't change mine. But we had fun. We had a mutual respect for each others position. Yeah, right. It's my best memory of the Bill Clinton years.


         Bob eventually moved to Gainesville but we still see each other occasionally. And we still argue about politics. Bob gave up the legal gig, except for some pro bono work. He now owns a sporting goods store in Gainesville.

          More neighbors moved in. First there was GiGi. Now, she is a story all to herself. But as far as top twenty neighbors of all time, she doesn't make the cut. Maybe I am being unfair. After all, she did supply us with some great stories to tell around the fire pit. And she did turn the house back into a single family home.

          Next came the Bernards. Steve was a local mail carrier and Peggy was a work at home mom to their three kids. We got along  fine but never became best friends. Steve is now retired and occasionally stops by to see us.

          No one came up to the caliber of the 'Mays'.

          All these neighbors got us into the new millennium.

          Then the kids from New Jersey arrived.

          Much younger than Penny and I, we hit it off immediately. We finally had someone next door who could compete with the Mays for 'best neighbor award'.

          Andrea and Kevin Pizzuti have been like one of our own. We had not known them very long when Andrea's mother invited us to New Jersey for her wedding. So the day after Thanksgiving (our anniversary) we flew to Philadelphia. And we had the best time. Except for a crappy rental car, but that's another story. We were treated like one of the family, not someone they had just met and hardly knew.

          We watched as Kevin and Andreas two children came into the world. Jackson and Ava are the sweetest kids you would ever want to know. If I could have had kids like that, maybe I would have had a couple. But I know that mine would have never turned out that good.   

          My fondest memory is when they got an estimate to mount their new big screen. Andrea posted on facebook about how expensive it was. Penny said to her, "Hey, you have a neighbor in the business. Maybe you should talk to him?" So that evening I made a house call. I was happy to help Kevin out and they saved a ton of money.    And I am happy to say that so far, the TV hasn't fallen off the wall.

          I also remember a family heirloom mahogany table with two broken legs. I was able to make duplicate legs and restore the table to it's glory. I worked hard on that project. It needed to be perfect.
        
          The meals and Holidays we've shared with them and their extended family are too numerous to mention. Not to mention this past Easter when we spent a wonderful weekend with them at their place on St. George Island.   

          I hope they stay next to us forever. I love watching Jackson and Ava as they grow into very special young people.

          The 'Mays' are both gone now, and Terri and Mary recently lost their brother. Looking back I wish I had been a better friend and had spent more time with them. I am afraid that many of the great memories have faded. And that is a shame.

          I am happy that I get to hear from Teri once in awhile via facebook. I am glad we re-connected. I miss those days growing up in Indiana.

          As I work on my manuscript for my novel, I think of them often. They were a huge part of my formative years. They were a part of my growing up. Hoss and Mid May were not only family friends, they were wonderful role models.   

          I hope I can be the same kind of role model to the two great kids next door.

          So, your assignment this week is to reach out to your neighbor, past or present. Go meet that neighbor that has lived next door to you forever. Enjoy the time you have together. You don't know how long it will last.

          Whose the 'best neighbor'?
   
          Gee, it's like the 2000 election. It's just too darn close to call. There are too many 'hanging chads'.
   
          After all, this is Florida.

           I would never want to choose a favorite. Both the 'Mays' and the 'Pizzutis' came into my life at different times in different places. I will say that both are in good company.
    
          I am fortunate to have had these wonderful people in my life. My only hope is that you are fortunate enough to have someone like them in your life too.
  
          Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment