Saturday, April 4, 2020

"WE ALL NEED SOMEBODY TO LEAN ON"


 Those words were written in 1972 by the late Bill Withers. We were all reminded of his hit gold record "Lean On Me",  when we learned he had passed away.

I hadn't thought about that tune in a while, altho back in my DJ days I played it on the radio all the time.

But it has now taken on a whole new meaning. 

'LEAN ON ME'

Let's think about this.

We all need someone to lean on. As human beings, we crave interaction with other humans. It's part of who we are.

So now many of us are locked down. We are being told to stay in our homes. We don't go out unless it is 'essential'.

The definition of 'Essential' is absolutely necessary; extremely important.

Yesterday, I watched as our neighbors came and went, as if nothing had changed. 

Then I realized they just needed to have that interaction. They needed to get out of the house. They needed something to do. They were already getting bored. To them, it was 'essential'.

I am lucky. I have someone to 'lean on'. Penny and I do a lot of things together. We cook and I help her in the yard. We even find some televisions shows we both can enjoy. We also LAUGH. A lot.

We also have our own separate interests.

I do Woodworking. (Mostly making stuff for her) She loves to read, take care of the cat & dogs, and do her gardening. I have tropical fish, watch a ton of Star Trek, and make more stuff for her.

By the time this is all over, I am going to have the cleanest woodworking shop in town.

I also find time to write here occasionally, and over at KILL IT, CUT IT UP, AND COOK IT

And I am still trying to finish my three volume great American novel.
 
But more than anything we just lean on each other.

I hope that you have someone to lean on as I can not imagine someone going through this time alone. Stuck in the house with no one to talk to, and have nothing to do.

So my advice to you is to lean on someone. Find some interests that you can do together and separately.

Use this time to broaden your horizons. If you are going to watch TV, find some good documentaries. 

By the way, I consider Star Trek a documentary.

Read some good books. Get on the internet and LEARN something!!

Want to learn how lawn sprinklers work ?? You can find it on You Tube. Want to learn about electrical and home repairs ?? You can find it on You Tube.  

Please don't spend your time on You Tube watching Russians running into things, or watching crappy comedians who all want to be David Letterman.

Find an interest and LEARN.  

Spend your new free time wisely. The time will go a lot faster.

Got a messy home office ? Clean it.

Behind on paperwork ?? Catch Up !!!

And be thankful that you have someone......and also remember that your neighbor may not have that in their life.

Reach out and check on them. You can talk across the fence or the road. Be there for them. If they need something and you have some,
SHARE.

Check on your family. Call them on the phone. If you know how, you can do face time, Skype, or whatever they call that stuff.
 
Because if you were them (and alone)  you would want someone to lean on too.

I am also reminded of another tune I used to play on the radio.

From Gloria Gaynor :  I WILL SURVIVE

Be well, be happy, and above all BE SMART !!!

SEE YOU NEXT TIME

No comments:

Post a Comment