Monday, February 3, 2014

ARE YOU SO IMPORTANT YOU HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH EVERYTHING I SAY ??

    When I was a young boy growing up in Western Pennsylvania, my parents had a friend named Mrs. Weeks.

    I do not remember much about her. What she looked like or where she lived.

    What I do remember is the way she disagreed with EVERYTHING you said.
   
    If you said, "The sky is blue today," her response would be "well really is a light blue, more like cyan."

    No matter what you said, she had a better way of saying it. She was right, and you were wrong.

    As I was growing up, every time my mother disagreed with anything my father said, he would simply respond with,  "Yes Mrs. Weeks"

    I was having a conversation with someone today and he had to disagree with one little minor point I had made. Simply to show that they knew more than me.
   
    I wanted to say, "Yes Mrs. Weeks."       

    I got to thinking 'Are you so important you have to differ with everything I say?'

    I thought back over the years and realized that this person has never agreed with anything anyone says. He always has a better point to make. No matter what the conversation is.

    Are people like that insecure? Are they trying to prove how smart they are?

    Or are they descendants of old Mrs. Weeks?   

    I am sure of these people took the time to LISTEN to what they say, they would be appalled by it. Maybe not.

    So, your assignment for the week:  STOP TALKING AND LISTEN !!!

    They fact that someone says "the sky is blue" may not be the most important part of the conversation. Why disagree with it?
   
    All you are proving is that you believe that what you say is more important than anything else.

    It's been over 50 years sine the days of Mrs. Weeks. But she is still with us. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment