Wednesday, March 8, 2017

RETIREMENT


    The day came on January 31, 2017. I counted them down for over a year. After 48 years working in the Broadcasting industry, it was my LAST day in the work force.

    My broadcasting career started in Muncie, Indiana and would ultimately lead me to Florida where I settled in 1989. I worked for a number of radio stations over the years, did some Computer Tech Support for Broadcasters, and finished my career at Broadcasters General Store,  selling equipment to Radio & TV stations all over the world. It was the best experience of my life.

     
 
     It was a great ride and I was fortunate to meet and work with a bunch of GREAT people. And a few who were not. I made many life long friends, and frankly had a 'blast'.

    But the day came to say goodbye and honestly friends, I have not looked back. 


     Penny says I wake up every morning with this crazy grin on my face. She tells me I am no longer 'stressed' and seem to be happier than ever. I am.

    The first thing my wife and I did was to embark on a ten day cruise to he Panama Canal aboard the Holland America Zuiderdam. 



     It was a great retirement cruise.

                  



    But what do you do when you retire? How do you fill the time?

    My answer is simple. 'What ever the hell you want to do.'

    I have always been a 'do-er'. Penny says I go 200 MPH all the time. "Slow down" she keeps telling me. But I don't slow down, and have no plans to do so.

    I have many interests in life. Our dogs, tropical fish, Wood Working, Florida Football and basketball, old TV shows, Movies, and a strong passion to write. Now I have the time for these things.

                  


    My latest en devour is learning how to cook. It's something I have always wanted to do. Penny wants me to learn in case that idiot on the road 'texting' takes her out. You can follow that en devour at killitcutitupandcookit.blogspot.com

    But being retired has taken some getting used to. I still go to bed early get up early. My routine is coffee, a banana I share with the President, and thirty minutes of local news. (it's all I can stand) A quick check of Facebook, then it's on to the days errands. I like to
do those as early as possible. Since I was always at the office by 7 AM, I have not seen daytime traffic in Ocala in over 16 years so I was completely surprised at how many people are out and about during the day. While I was working this city got larger.

     I always marvel at people who's only interest is their job. Yes, I worked hard and always gave a hundred per cent, but I always wanted more in life. I surrounded myself with many interests and hobbies. I even renewed my Amateur Radio License, (KE4QLK) just in case I become active in that hobby again. I was asked by many if I wanted to do some outside consulting. I explained that I would do it for $400.00 and hour. I don't think I'll get any takers. That was the idea. 'It was sarcasm, Sheldon'. 

    What are people that work all the time going to do when they retire ? They probably won't retire. That's fine for them, but not for me.

    So if you need me, I'll be in the workshop making saw dust, or the kitchen burning something, or my office writing. I may be in the yard playing with Grover Cleveland, or watching the Gators on my big screen.


     Or watching one of my 4000 DVD's. I'll be having FUN. I deserve it, and I earned it.

    I know where you won't find me. I won't be working for someone else.

    I'll keep you posted.

    All the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment